The Cabin Sole revisited (2009)

Home or s/v Stella Blue Home or Projects

January 2009 -

Here's a picture from back in 2001, when I refinished the main cabin sole.

It was one of the first things I did, because
the sole was out for months during the rig rebuild.
Over the years, I've often thought that
it should have been one of the *last* things.

But, I've come to understand that the bulletproof finish I put on the sole actually saved me
from having to replace the whole thing.

With all of the other work done on this boat,
the cabin sole has been awash in fiberglass dust many times, I've probably dropped a wrench on it a hundred times, spilled paint and epoxy, dragged stoves and diesel engines across it, and so on.

In short, it had been brutalized.

I had figured on living with it, but since we pulled the cabin sole out to rebed the keel,
I took it home and cleaned it up.

You can see how badly scratched and dinged up it had become.

However, the two part Interlux finish has actually held up well and protected the wood.

Here it is, scutted up and sanded with a random orbital and 120 grit.

I didn't try and take the finish off, just clean it.

I'm very glad I used the Interlux two part finish, since the veneer is so thin it cannot be sanded again.
The thick, hard finish worked.

The aft cabin sole, right under the companionway, wasn't refinished in 2001.

It was in terrible shape back in 2001, and I planned to put in something new.

Now, it's even worse, since it took the brunt of all the work during the repower.

However, I priced out a new 4x4 section of teak and holly, and decided to
live with it.

I'm getting frugal, since I stopped working seven months ago and my savings were trashed in the crash of 2008. I need to wrap things up and get out of here.

After dry sanding, I wet sanded it to remove the dust
and all the dirt that's collected on the edges over the years.

In 2001 I sealed the sole with penetrating epoxy before putting the finish on.

The Interlux two part finish protected the wood really well, so I'm going to
use it again.

I don't know why they call it "Varnish." This stuff is nothing like varnish.

It's a clear two part polyurethane finish, and
is as tough as topsides paint.

It also seems to allow feet and shoes a decent grip
when it's wet.

At $85 a quart, it had *better* be good.

I mixed up small batches, and kept the leftovers in the freezer so that it wouldn't
kick off.

One quart allowed three coats.

Naturally, a breeze swung through, and blew dust all over the final coat.

I'll live with it, rather than go buy another quart.

In 2001 I covered the galley area with smooth treadmaster, as the veneer was delaminated.

I probably
wouldn't do that again.
It is *great* as a nonskid surface, and the galley is very safe, even when the boat is heeled over or rocking around.

However, the treadmaster really likes to absorb dirt, and at this point it's impossible to keep clean.

If I had the time,
I'd find some kind of sealer, or rubbery paint
to put over it.
As it is, I'm living with it.

Hmmm.

I had the yard's rig shop tune and tension the rig after my last haul, and I really thought they over-tensioned it,
since none of the doors will shut.

I'd planned to go sail the boat,
and let the rig settle in a bit,
and see if it loosened up.

But, heck, the sole doesn't fit in, and it's clear that they really bent the boat out of shape.
It's squeezed in nearly 1/8".

So I went outside and loosened the rig,
and the sole fit back in the way it's supposed to.
Of course, now I have to watch the rig tension,
go sail it and tighten things back up.

Here's the aft cabin sole.

There's no way to get all the dings, scrapes and dirt out of it without removing the veneer.

So, I cleaned it up and made it shiny.

That'll have to do.
No more big projects.

There.

It's shiny again,
but definitely eight years older.

The forward edge of the galley really took a beating during the repower,
since the stern sat about four inches high for nearly a year and water collected right under the edge.

If I were into projects,
I'd spend a month remaking it.

But I'd rather go sailing.

Application is just like two part paint. Rolling and tipping is best.
I got lazy and just brushed it on. I don't need a perfect finish, I just want to protect the wood.
Like two part paint, you cannot go back and touch up mistakes.