New Stuffing Box

Back to Home ... s/v Stella Blue home ... Repower Page ... Projects

 

 

Back to Home ... s/v Stella Blue home ... Repower Page ... Projects

April 2006 --

The boat's hauled out for the last few things that need to be done as part of the repower project.

The original stuffing box is, well,
25 years old. The hose is a bit chewed up,
and any 25 year old hose that's been under the waterline should be replaced.

I spent a couple of years considering changing out to a PSS or a Lasdrop, but didn't for a few reasons. My shaft is old and definitely scored, so I'd need a new one. I also don't like the recommended maintenance schedules on the dripless seals, and the recommended 10 year replacement schedule on the bellows.

Everyone I've heard from who uses this packing material says it's great, and once it's settled in can actually be tightened down to the point where it doesn't drip at all.

That's important to me, since I have a V Drive and the engine's oil pan is directly above the packing box.
I don't like having a leaky seal spraying salt water onto the bottom of the oil pan, and this should help.

The box came with hose clamps, but I replaced them with these.
They're more expensive,
but they reduce the chance of
damaging the hose.

Note the way the edges are rounded over,
so that the clamps won't cut into the hose.

The three rings are set into the nut, with the cuts offset 180 degrees.

The new nut has a little ear, and a hole so that it can be siezed down to something with Monel wire.

In 2007 I finally got around to putting an eyebolt onto the
new stringers, and strapping the nut to the eye bolt.

Mainly, though, I didn't want to have to pull my shaft and get a new one. There are some pretty good high-tech dripless packing materials out there, and I'm going to use them instead.

I bought a new stuffing box
from Buck-Algonquin.

The hose is much larger and stronger than my old one. That's nice.

I also really like having a new,
uncorroded bronze nut.

Cool.
I can check that job off the list.

Note the shaft log as it passes through the hull.
Since I had everything pulled apart
and really clean, I ground down to laminate and added big thick epoxy fillets alongside the log, and laid a few layers of Kyntex over it
to add extra reinforcement.
What the heck. When it's this far apart,
it only took a 20 minutes of work
to make that thing extra super strong.
It'll never be this clean again.

Installation is standard. Just wrap it around a few times and slice it with a razor blade.