House DC Panel

Back to Home ... s/v Stella Blue home ... Wiring Page ... Projects

 

Back to Home ... s/v Stella Blue home ... Wiring Page ... Projects

Here's how the labels are laid out.

The left column is navigation lights.
The center column is for pumps and stuff.
The right column is for household stuff.

Since the panel is right above a counter that seems to be a serious working space (and a step,) I planned on having stuff bump into the breakers, and so put things that can't be accidentally shut off near the top.

The panel itself is standard Blue Seas, and I didn't do anything unusual.

The Hot and Ground wires are 8 gauge.

Blue Seas panels come with Ground Bus bars next to each row of breakers, which helps to keep all those ground wires from making a mess back at the main Bus Bar.

June 2004 --
Finally, every tributary wire has been replaced, and I can add a new House DC panel below the companionway, and pull every old wire out of the inside of that compartment.

There are still a number of new wires to add, though.

The visible edge is made pretty
with a strip of mahogany.

Two more 12V sockets are on the panel. That makes 8 total in the boat, which should be plenty.

These two are for a cockpit search light and stuff like that.

It's weird, but the mahogany panel is actually the same color as the other new panels in the Nav Station.
It just seems lighter due to reflection from the white counter top.

This whole area looks like an airplane cockpit now, but I have a separate breaker for every device that's now (or will be) on the boat, and a few spare slots as well.

Above the DC Main breaker, there are two spare slots to wire in Solar and/or Wind charging devices.

It's only about 1/32" thick, but should keep the bottom edge from getting damaged by water, or from being scraped across the counter.

After it set, the edge was varnished with the rest of the panel.

Because the bottom edge is sitting on the counter,
right under the companionway, it's going to get wet.

There's a thin bead of epoxy and colloidal silica
along the bottom, to protect the veneer.
To make it, I set an angle iron along the bottom edge,
lined with wax paper.